Thomas Knight Trent King - CPA - Raliegh Durham, North Carolina


3400 Croasdaile Drive, Suite 301
Durham, NC 27705
T: 919.383.8585
F: 919.382.3290
 
141 Semora Road
Roxboro, NC 27573
T: 336.599.0168
F: 336.599.0062

 
www.tktk.com










P a s t,   P r e s e n t,   F u t u r e

In 1917, Beverly D. Ashlin opened an office in Durham in the First National Bank Building for the practice of public accounting. Mr. Ashlin’s practice increased rapidly and his reputation as a competent and highly ethical accountant became widely recognized. He served as president of the North Carolina Society of Public Accountants for several terms.

Philip W. Hutchings, Sr., CPA, became associated with Mr. Ashlin in 1933, and this association continued until Mr. Ashlin’s death on December 10, 1940.

N. A. Thomas received his certificate as a certified public accountant in 1946, and he and Mr. Hutchings entered into a partnership arrangement, which continued until Mr. Hutchings’ death in 1948.

In December of 1945, Arthur W. Knight joined the staff of Ashlin and Hutchings after returning from overseas service with the U.S. Armed Forces in Europe. He had received his certificate as a certified public accountant on January 3, 1940. Following the death of Mr. Hutchings, the partnership of Norwood A. Thomas and Arthur W. Knight was formed on October 26, 1948 under the name of Ashlin, Thomas & Knight.

James W. Trent had joined Ashlin and Hutchings on August 1, 1947 and had continued on the staff of Ashlin, Thomas & Knight. He obtained his certificate as a certified public accountant on March 25, 1949. The Roxboro office was opened on November 19, 1949 in the Kirby Building and on January 1, 1950 he became a partner.

On September 1, 1949, Aubrey B. King joined the staff of Ashlin, Thomas & Knight. He obtained his certificate as a certified public accountant on July 22, 1953, and on April 1, 1954 he was admitted to the partnership.

On September 13, 1972, the Professional Association of Thomas, Knight, Trent, King and Company was formed with the partners of the former partnership as stockholders, plus the addition of Elbert C. Yarborough who had joined the firm in 1958 and received his certificate as a certified public accountant on September 9, 1968. The corporate firm offered a vehicle by which full-time staff members who had obtained their CPA certificate and who had exhibited the required qualifications could be taken into the firm as principals.

Today the firm has approximately 32 employees with offices located in Durham and Roxboro. Our total professional staff numbers 22, 17 of which are certified public accountants. The firm currently has five shareholders and we believe our success is a legacy of the firm’s founding principles: quality, integrity, spirit and energy. As financial advisors and analysts, we complement our clients’ internal staff. Together with their legal, banking, insurance, investment and other specialists, we are an integral part of their professional team. It is a relationship built on expertise and trust, a relationship where we are Partners in Business and Success.